Thursday, February 19, 2009

Photoshop Surrealistic Collage Assignment.

1. Post your image. I will be working with Cornell's Spirit Level (1942)



2. Post your Feldman's Model Paper (300 words or more) DUE TUESDAY FEB 24 MIDNIGHT

What does it take to keep your spirit level? That is the question that Cornell is asking with this piece.

A scuffed up yellow ball sits suspended in the middle of the box between two stiff wires. On either side of the ball is a tiny glass, the kind used for a drink of port or sherry (a sweet fortified wine that reminds me of prune juice.) The back of the box looks like old unpainted siding of a decrepit white cottage. A picture of the solar system is pasted high in the top of the box.

The billboard painted on a barn that we speed by at 60 miles per hour. Reminding us, if we stop to think, “You are here…. Maybe?”

Is our spirit level, when we zoom past the landscape as if flying? Landscape is the television broadcast on our windshield, a drive-in movie screen. Most of us alone, in our cars, where are our friends that will sit with us? One on each side, drinking together. A tiny glass of sherry to keep our spirits level as we talk about our past, present and future together.
(Yes I know it's not 300 words... it's an example of interpretive writing.)

3. Post your Photoshop/Surreal Collage. (I will be working on an example, including Photoshop commands... to post as soon as possible.) DUE TUESDAY FEB 24 MIDNIGHT

Using no more than 5 "pieces" use Photoshop to create a collage that can be INTEPRETED in the same way as your Surrealist Image from Cornell or Oppenheim.

Step 1. I searched for images using google images search, "solar system, maps, spirit level, line leve and guitar. I may find more images later, but I'm going to start with these.

Step 2. I downloaded images. I am providing links to the images because I don't have the copyright. However once I have modified them and made a collage significantly changing them... it is a new work of art. And I will be able to post it without violating copyright. If I was a famous artist sold this work... I might be sued but as a college professor (student) doing this for education purposes I'm pretty safe.

Solar System Map

Panorama of Swiss Alps

Spirit Level

Line Level

Retro lawn chairs

Guitar

9 comments:

simonwantschuckpalahniuksbabies said...

Happy Snowday docmox.

make sure to make time and go sledding

-simon

Katie Lozano said...

snowday attendance

Matty's Blogg Fest said...

SNOWDAY ATTENDANCE

freestyler22 said...

snowday attendance
Kevin

Sadler22 said...

gotta love snow days! have a good one, see ya tuesday

Unknown said...

Snow day attendance !!

Bryan Bresnahan said...

Snow day attendance. Have a good one.
-Bryan Bresnahan

Sarah said...

snow day attendance!!!!

Andrade said...

sorry I did not leave a comment earlier, I did not check my email, Have a great weekend!